Many rely on mascara as a makeup essential, yet it’s frustrating when it doesn’t endure the day. From smudges to flakes or simply fading away, maintaining voluminous, defined lashes can prove challenging. However, employing a few straightforward techniques can extend your mascara’s lifespan, ensuring stunning lashes that last all day. This piece delves into diverse methods to prolong mascara wear, empowering you to retain your desired look for an extended duration.
How to make mascara last longer?
Curl your lashes:
Enhance the appearance of your lashes effortlessly by curling them. This simple technique gives your lashes a lift, making them seem longer and fuller while reducing the chance of smudging or drooping. Use a clean, well-maintained lash curler; avoid old or dirty ones that could harm your lashes, leading to breakage. To maximize the curl’s effectiveness, gently warm the lash curler with a hairdryer for a few seconds before use. Begin by placing the curler close to the lash base, softly pressing down for a few seconds before releasing. Repeat this process a few times, gradually moving up the lashes. This method creates defined, long-lasting curls. Follow with mascara application, coating the lashes from root to tip for a flawless finish.
Store Mascara Properly:
One of the essential things you can do to make your mascara last longer is to store it properly. Mascara should be kept in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat. If the mascara becomes too warm, it can become runny and dry out faster. Also, it is important to close the mascara properly after each use to prevent it from drying out.
Use a Primer:
Using a primer before applying mascara can help to make it last longer. A primer will create a smooth surface for the mascara to adhere to, making it less likely to smudge or flake. It also helps to thicken and define the lashes, making them look fuller and more dramatic.
Use Waterproof Mascara:
Waterproof mascara is formulated to last longer and be more resistant to smudging and flaking. It is ideal for people with oily skin or those who tend to sweat a lot. However, waterproof mascara can be more difficult to remove than regular mascara, so it is important to use a good makeup remover.
Use a Setting Spray:
Another way to make your mascara last longer is to use a setting spray. A setting spray will help to lock in the mascara and prevent it from smudging or flaking. It also helps keep the mascara fresh and vibrant throughout the day.
When your mascara begins to fade throughout the day, a quick reapplication can revive and refresh your lashes. But caution is key; excessive application may result in clumpy or overly elongated lashes. Opt instead for a gentle, light layer of mascara to invigorate and revitalize your lash look.
Tips while applying mascara:
When applying mascara, a few tips can help you achieve the best results. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Start with a clean slate: Make sure your lashes are free of makeup or oils before applying mascara. It will help the mascara adhere better and give you a more defined look.
- Use the right brush: Mascara brushes come in different shapes and sizes, so choose one appropriate for your lash type and the look you’re trying to achieve. A smaller brush is great for separating and defining lashes, while a larger brush can add volume and length.
- Apply in layers: Applying mascara in layers can help to build volume and definition. Start by applying a light coat, wait a few seconds for it to dry, and apply another coat. Repeat this process until you achieve the desired look.
- Wiggle the brush: When applying mascara, wiggling the brush back and forth at the base of your lashes can help to separate and coat each lash. It will also help to avoid clumps.
- Be gentle: Applying mascara too vigorously can cause lashes to break or damage. Use a light touch and be gentle when applying mascara, focusing on one eye at a time.
- Don’t pump the brush: It’s tempting to pump the brush in and out of the mascara tube to get more mascara on the brush, but this can cause the mascara to dry out faster and become clumpy. Instead, swirl the brush inside the tube to pick up the mascara.
Frequently asked questions:
Q1: How long does mascara last if I use it every day?
A: Mascara typically lasts 3-6 months when used daily. However, it’s important to note that mascara should be discarded immediately if there’s a change in color or consistency or if you notice any signs of infection, such as redness, itchiness, or swelling. It’s also recommended to check the expiration date on the packaging and discard it after that date.
Q2: How many layers of mascara should you put on?
A: It is recommended to apply 2-3 layers of mascara to achieve the desired look. Applying too many layers can cause clumping, while applying too few may not give you the desired effect. It’s also important to wait for the previous layer to dry before applying the next one to avoid smudging.
Enhance the longevity of your mascara for all-day stunning, voluminous lashes. Preserve your mascara by storing it correctly and utilizing techniques such as using a primer, opting for waterproof mascara, employing a setting spray, curling lashes before application, and infusing a few drops of saline solution. Revitalize your lashes by reapplying mascara as needed. These strategies maximize mascara durability, ensuring your desired look. Remember to heed the expiration date, replacing mascara as necessary, and avoid excessive use of these methods to safeguard lash health.